Sometimes analysis and insights are hard to quantify from a traditional job requisition perspective. Here's a quick open letter.
Before we talk about experience and skills, let's outline the real requirements.
- We need a very scarce skill. So, I need a compensation model that doesn't require senior level staff to manage people, products or places.
- We know we have the need, but we can't articulate the job details. So, I need the flexibility to specify objectives, outcomes and success criteria in the broadest terms.
- We are going to ask big questions that cause all kinds of disruption. So, I need to provide him with the freedom to work across P&Ls, business, and technology without fear or roadblocks.
- We are creating gold, not mining for it. So, I need a culture that embraces experimentation; in return we will apply the learnings broadly.
- We need to support this role to provide job satisfaction. So, I need an organization that asks "What do the data say?" "What do they imply?" to give her a fighting chance of succeeding.