The future of marketing is literally in the palm of our hands - the smart phone. But we have to rethink things; it is not just another screen.
reserach but the trend is undeniable: we use it to help us decide.
The result is a series of paradoxes we're not used to because it totally disrupted the path to purchase as we understood it to be. We're now operating in a world when...
- More information from more sources is present at decision time not less because we don't need to wean out choices ahead of time.
- The ability to push messages first requires pull, activation or opt-in because this is personal not broadcast.
- The content is not what we'd thought it would be (ads) but rather what they need (info) because that is what is actually important.
- Awareness and consideration may occur at the same instant because it eliminates the need for prior research.
- The time and space distinction of channels has evaporated because there are no physical constraints on where it can be used.
- Showrooming can lead to higher in-store conversion because consumers can recognize the offer as 'good enough'.
Maybe we should design our content strategy like a dashboard....